Your shopping cart is empty.
Aug 25, 2017
Creating black and white images can be quite rewarding. Many times when the weather is less than ideal for creating great color work the conditions are ideal for long exposure black and white images. An overcast sky with fast moving clouds will translate into beautiful textures in your images.
1) Using a wide angle lens, (in this case 24mm on a medium format camera) will allow you to get very close to subject while bringing in the textures and movement of the sky and perhaps water.
2) Next you will need a filter system, I use the NISI system and specifically a 10 stop ND filter. This will allow you to shoot in the middle of the day and have a 1 minute or more exposure time. A long exposure creates textures in the sky and smooths out the water. From an artistic standpoint the effect is minimalistic and focuses your viewer to just the main subject. It is most important to be sure that no light is leaking in from around the filter or from your viewfinder/lens. If that happens you will get a large light streak across your image. Be sure to have a medium size towel with you to wrap around your lens and around your filters to block light. I use the NISI system because it is designed to keep the light from leaking around the filters, allowing me to focus on my image.
3) The ideal compositions are near or around the coast or lakes with isolated docks or piers or rocks for long exposures. Those type of compositions will look dramatic in black and white using long exposures creating very few visual distractions and focusing the eyes on your subject. However, great black and white images can be made virtually anywhere. Andy Biggs has gone to shooting over 70% of his images of African wildlife in black and white with a medium format camera. Clyde Butcher has shot large format film images throughout Florida and the entire US using exclusively black and white film images.
4) Look for patterns in the landscape. Color will distract from patterns in nature, while black and white images will highlight them. James Bourett is a very well known fine art photographer in Idaho and has a beautiful Gallery in Sun Valley/Ketchum, Idaho. Some of his most popular images are black and white, for expample this specific image shows a repeating pattern that James captured elegantly with his skill in this medium.
5) The last BW tip and probably the most importtant. When fine tuning your image in post processing use the HSL panel in lightroom and tweak the colors. The color adjustment will create drama and contrast specific to colors in your raw file. This will dramatically improve the imapct of your image and is a must.
Good luck and let me know how it goes.
This presence of this badge signifies that this business has officially registered with the Art Storefronts Organization and has an established track record of selling art.
It also means that buyers can trust that they are buying from a legitimate business. Art sellers that conduct fraudulent activity or that receive numerous complaints from buyers will have this badge revoked. If you would like to file a complaint about this seller, please do so here.
The Art Storefronts Organization has verified that this business has provided a returns & exchanges policy for all art purchases.
We want you to know that each and every fine art print purchase, matted or matted and framed, is covered by our 100%, "take one month to decide" money back guarantee. We want you to be totally satisfied with your purchase and enjoy displaying our artwork in your home or office. If this is not the case just return the artwork to us and we will refund your money or exchange the artwork. This warranty will be honored whether you made your purchase over the internet, over the phone or in person. This warranty does not apply to personally autographed and/or dated pieces, to pieces sold at heavily discounted prices, nor to pieces which were altered, modified, reframed or rematted by someone other than David Knight. Your piece must be in like-new condition when we receive it. This offer only applies to fine art prints. You are responsible for the cost of return shipping from your location to ours. Shipping costs from us to you are not refundable. For the print of the month, the shipping costs are 10% of the cost of your order. If you have purchased multiple pieces from us and wish to return them for a refund you need to ship your pieces back to us all at the same time, preferably in a single package. Your return needs to be insured and trackable. Each return must be preceded by communication with us by phone or in person (no email), notifying us that a return is coming. Returns for which we have not been notified, and returns that have not been approved by us, will be returned to sender. Our policies are subject to change at any time without notice.
This website provides a secure checkout with SSL encryption.
The Art Storefronts Organization has verified that this Art Seller has published information about the archival materials used to create their products in an effort to provide transparency to buyers.
The four following characteristics apply to each photograph - Each photograph carries the unique David Knight Seal of Authenticity Each photograph comes with our unique David Knight Seal of authenticity label on the back of your artwork. The presence of this label guarantees that you own an original David Knight Fine Art photograph. Our Lifetime fade free warranty is honored on all artwork printed by David Knight. Our lifetime Framing Warranty is honored on all artwork framed by us and which carry David Knight's label. - Each photograph is individually hand-signed by David Knight All of David's photographs offered on this page are signed on the print and on the mat . This way, if you decide to remat your artwork, you will still have David's signature on the print. David signs his prints using an archival pen which does not fade nor damage the print. - Each image is printed using the latest equipment and supplies Digital photography is a quickly changing medium. As technology and supplies changes, so do my workflow and approach. To guarantee that you always receive the latest and highest print quality, each print is made when you order it. - Our prices increase regularly This pricing structure guarantees that your investment increases in value proportionally. All orders placed after a price increase are billed at the new prices. We do reserve the right to change our prices and policies at any time without notice.
This is only visible to you because you are logged in and are authorized to manage this website. This message is not visible to other website visitors.
Click on any Image to continue
The above preview shows how to use the live preview on this website. The image displayed is just an example, and is not available for sale.
This means you can use the camera on your phone or tablet and superimpose any piece of art onto a wall inside of your home or business.
To use this feature, Just look for the "Live Preview AR" button when viewing any piece of art on this website!
Below, select which favorite lists you would like to save this product into.
SAVE 20% ON YOUR FIRST ORDER!
Enter your email below and we'll email you a 20% OFF Coupon right now!
Sign up now for access to free iPhone/iPad Wallpapers
This offer is valid for NEW CUSTOMERS only!